BIKE CLEANING BUYING GUIDE
How To Clean Your Bike
Bike Cleaning Products Checklist
Make sure you have these essential bike cleaning products to hand to make sprucing up your bike quick and easy...
HOSE OR BUCKET OF CLEAN WATER
CLEANING BRUSHES AND SPONGE
Quick Bike Wash Tips
Now that you have all of your bike cleaning essentials, here is a quick guide on how to use them to best effect. Everyone has their own way of cleaning their bike so this process is by no means set in stone; have a play and find a routine that works best for you...
- Secure the bike in a bike work stand or balance it in an upright position.
- Apply degreaser to the mechs, the front chainset and chainrings, the chain and the rear wheel sprockets. Leave to work.
- Spray the bike with bike cleaning fluid and gently brush to loosen the dirt or apply with a sponge and wipe down.
- Work your way from top to bottom starting with the seat and handlebars, then the frame.
- Remove the front wheel and clean the tyre, rims, spokes and hub.
- Clean the front forks and front brakes.
- Remove the back wheel and clean the tyre, rims, spokes, hub and cassette.
- Clean the rear end of the bike frame as well as the brakes, rear mech and chainrings, crank arms and pedals.
- Put the wheels back on.
- Clean the chain using a special chain cleaning device or a sponge.
- Fully rinse the bike and wheels with clean water using a hose or bucket of water and sponge to remove any soap or cleaning residue.
- Oil the chain, rear sprockets, front and rear mechs with a specially formulated chain lubricant.
- Use a finishing bike spray to help remove any leftover moisture and to apply a protective layer, but be careful not to spray this on any braking surfaces including disk brakes, disk brake pads or your tyres.
- Stand back and admire your good work and super clean bike!