Brompton has been making folding bikes for many years now with every model folding down into a small package only a little larger than the wheels. All the componentry has been designed to suit Brompton's unique fold, keeping lights, cables out of harm's way and, by folding them in, the chain and gears are kept away from clothing and luggage. Once folded the bike has no protrusions or loose parts, and will carry like a small suitcase.
- Bike Type - Folding Commuter
- Ideal Use - Road, Tow path, Cycle Lanes
- Frame: Steel
- Fork: Steel
- Suspension: Firm Block
- Handlebars: S Type
- Front Brake: Brompton dual-pivot callipers with Fibrax cartridge pads
- Rear Brake: Brompton dual-pivot callipers with Fibrax cartridge pads
- Brake Levers: Brompton Aluminium
- Gear Shifters: Brompton Shifting
- Pedals: Brompton folding on left. Aluminium cage flat pedal on right
- Wheelset: Brompton standard 3 Speed
- Front Tyres: Brompton Kevlar
- Rear Tyres: Brompton Kevlar
- Saddle: Brompton Standard
- Seatpost: Brompton Extended
- Mudguards: Front and Rear
- Colour: Raw Lacquer
The first Brompton bike was built in 1975 from the South Kensington bedroom of designer Andrew Ritchie.
His initial prototypes were crude, but through a relentless refining process Ritchie hit upon a cycle that would go on to become the gold standard of folding bikes.
In recent years, the company has seen rapid expansion worldwide, and now has stores in cities including London, Amsterdam, Beijing, Tokyo and Barcelona.
But not content to rest on their laurels, Brompton has a large team of in-house designers and engineers who are constantly developing new accessories and improving upon the design of the bike itself.
Every Brompton is handmade in their London factory by skilled craftsman who have undergone an intensive 18-month training program, and who each have a unique signature which they stamp on the parts of the bike they work on.
This culture of accountability is indicative of Brompton’s commitment to quality, and helps to ensure that every one of their bikes is built to the highest standard.